Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Yesterday we had our final ROV test at the Aquatic Center.  It was a busy day with lots going on.  At the end of this post you will find a couple videos that show the view from the underwater camera mounted on each ROV.  The second video is pretty interesting as you can see what the pilot of the ROV is viewing during the "T-Anemone" retrieval test.  It is reminiscent of a video game.

As I have brought this first attempt at incorporating the underwater ROV as the central project of my physics classes to a close, I'm want to know how to improve for next year.  I polled my students, asking them to answer the following questions:

1.  What did you enjoy most about the ROVs?
2.  What improvement(s) would you make to the testing procedure?
3.  If you could do anything differently, what would it be?
4.  Any other comments/suggestions?

Overwhelmingly, the majority of the students responded that what they enjoyed most was the departure from the day-to-day routine of school and the opportunity to actually apply what they were learning in class in a hands-on, tangible way.  They also made some excellent suggestions for making the testing run smoother such as to have assigned stations and rotations to follow.  They also all wanted more opportunities ($$$) to test in the pool.  Below is a sampling of some of my favorite responses from students:

""I enjoyed the change of pace from traditional schoolwork, as well as the freedom it gives students to be creative."  (male student)

"I enjoyed the process of designing and building the ROV.  Sure, it was difficult and sometimes frustrating, but I had never built a robot or anything like this ever.  So I thought it was fun."  (female student)

"I enjoyed the freedom we were given while building the ROV...it was fun just to brainstorm with friends." (male student)

"What I enjoyed the most about the ROV class is how it was just one big project throughout the year instead of having a bunch of projects.  It made it so much less stressful.  Also I liked it because it was amazing to know that I can build my own underwater vehicle and for it to work as well as it did." (female student)

"I enjoyed the challenge of having to create the ROV with no instructions.  Through these challenges I was able to learn things I never would have imagined learning at the beginning of Physics, such as wiring.  I also enjoyed hanging out with my lab group."  (male student)

I think the responses that I received from my students reflect some of my beliefs that I already hold about them:

  1. They are able to create more than they are asked to create.
  2. They really enjoy the challenge of creating something of their own.
  3. My students like to work in teams.  When they are focused, they can socialize and accomplish a meaningful task at the same time.
  4. They want their learning to be meaningful.

Next year's students can look forward to an improved implementation of this project as well as expansion to my AP classes.